8.13.2010

Weeds and The Big C

I've been an avid reader of Entertainment Weekly for years AND I'm a member of the Landmark Cinemas Society. Both, unbeknown to the other, contacted me to attend an advance screening of Showtime's new program, The Big C, as well as the season premiere of Weeds. I was excited and decided to bring y'all along on the adventure with me! On with the show!



Midtown Art Cinema has been my favorite movie theater in Atlanta for years. Before I moved here, I would drive nearly two hours to see foreign and indie films not shown in my town. This was where the premiere was held. I was told to get there an hour before showtime, and was worried I'd be out in the sun, but there was no one outside. Everyone was inside making a huge loop around the theatre. I went to the table, gave my name, and was given tickets and vouchers for these:


Everyone received a free medium drink and popcorn. Both were so huge, that I finished neither! The line was rather chaotic and unorganized. I guess they weren't prepared for so many people! I was also given these:


These were some promotional items given that described the show. What did I think of the shows? The Big C is about a woman (Laura Linney) who many describe as boring or tightly-wound. Once she discovers she has cancer, she changes everything, and decides to do what she wants, when she wants. It was nice to see Laura Linney in a comedic role. There are some truly laugh-out-loud moments, which seems unlikely, given the serious topic. I really liked the show. Precious star Gabourey was in it as well as a guest star.

Weeds has been on Showtime since '05 and follows a suburban housewife who sells drugs to make a living after her husband suddenly dies. I was sort of familiar with the show before, and even though I'd not seen it, I found myself laughing along.

What did I think? Sometimes I give pilots a chance and will watch at least another episode before giving up. In this case, I loved the show instantly. Haven't you ever wanted to step out of the norm and do something crazy? I think that's a little of what makes The Big C so relatable.

Both shows were 30 minutes each and air this Monday. If you have Showtime, I'd recommend both programs. Thanks for coming along with me!

10 comments:

  1. Oh, how fun! Weeds is such a good show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fun!! Have a fantastic weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can HARDLY wait for the season premiere of "Weeds"! I think it's one of the funniest shows on TV!

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't seen it but have heard lots of good things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You need to come to LA and visit. There's a screening or premiere every night of the week. It keeps the entertainment bill low and lets me pad the clothing budget. :)
    KB

    ReplyDelete
  6. i really want to watch weeds, i just haven't got round to it!

    http://itscohen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. omgosh, how fun! lucky u! i'm intrigued with The Big C. thanks for sharing and have a great weekend!

    TheOwlsCloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. great post darling!!!
    thank you for your sweet comment! don't hesitate to follow me on bloglovin or facebook! :D have a nice weekend!
    xoxo from rome
    K.
    http://kcomekarolina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. We'we got lots of really big cinemas over here too; but whenever I can, I go to the beach. Over there, they have a cinema that still looks like it did in the fifties. Cute, small and totally retro! :)
    My favorite movie theatre by far :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. how cool. to receive that invitation. I'm intrigued by the Big C.

    have a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

I respond to comments via email, so make sure I can respond!
For a faster response, please use Twitter or email: elleseesyou@gmail.com

More ways to keep up with me: Bloglovin, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram , Youtube or email: elleseesyou@gmail.com

You made my day by visiting! See ya tomorrow :)

Disclaimer:

All products mentioned are purchased by me unless stated.
All pics, thoughts, etc, are mine unless otherwise noted. Publishing or redistributing any content from this blog is strictly prohibited. Please seek permission first. Thank you.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...