3.09.2011

DIY: Solid Perfume


Solid perfume is a definite must in my purse, especially when traveling. WHY? Solid perfumes don't spill & are super portable. Since they aren't alcohol-based, the scent can last longer & you can apply it specifically. For those looking for a more natural, green approach, solid perfumes fit the bill. I've used mine to moisturize my skin in a pinch and they've saved me many a time during stinky cab & subway rides! (Just put a little under your nose!)

I don't, however, like how most solid perfumes are presented--in metal tins. I don't like any lip gloss, balm, or perfume that I have to apply with my fingers--is that weird? Regardless, I decided to make my own. It's quick, inexpensive, and very easy.
LEVEL: Easy
TIME: 5 minutes
INGREDIENTS:

  • Non-flavored tube of lip balm (Chapstick)
  • Essential oil
  • Bowl
  • Spatula or spoon
  • Funnel
  • Microwave

METHOD:
1. Remove label from Chapstick & discard. Unscrew Chapstick all the way & remove from tube. Place in microwave-safe bowl.
2. Melt Chapstick in microwave for about a minute. Stir & keep heating in 30 second increments until completely liquid. Add 5-10 drops of essential oil and stir. DO NOT use your favorite perfume (unless you have it in oil form). Why? The alcohol will evaporate and disappear.
3. You'll have to work fast since the wax begins to harden quickly. Reheat if needed. Pour your mixture back into the tube. Use a funnel if needed (I needed it!).
4. Let the tube cool & harden for a few hours. Enjoy!
5. Optional: To differentiate Chapstick (lip balm) from your solid perfume, print and affix label below. Resize (if needed) label and print onto 1.625 x 1.8125 label paper.

PS--HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY MAMA! I love you.

14 comments:

  1. that is SUCH a cool idea! i would've never thought to make solid perfume!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a genius idea, Elle! Love the perfume in a tube idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that idea! I use solid perfumes all the time that I get from a local soap maker, but they do come in tins which is kinda gross. I might give this a whirl!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now, THAT'S a great idea!
    kb
    giveaway time: http://redcarpetcloset.tv/

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a good idea! happy birthday to your momma! xoxo jcd:: cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I love this idea! It's so easy and practical! Off to find some essential oils and a non-flavoured lip balm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super creative. Yes, I don't like glosses in pots since it means dipping my finger in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome Idea!!! Can't wait to try it. Now I just need to find some essential oil.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea! I'm definitely going to try this the moment I find a perfect orange-scented oil!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me neither esp when taking public trans... our hands have touched everything.. that is an eww factor..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea!:D I never thought of this, thanks for sharing.:D

    ***** Marie *****
    allthingsmarie.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is fantastic! I'm trying this! lovely blog also. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a wonderful idea! But I thought I would pass along some safety info. Your recipe calls for an essential oil. This should be safe since it is diffused in the wax. However, your photo shows a scented oil. These are not the same thing. Most scented oils are for home use, not cosmetics and may contains some harmful ingredients that could harm delicate skin. But again, great idea ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The site is worth reading. The uniqueness and structure that shines from this blog post. These days blogs are used in each and every field. The knowledge that we recieve from them has no words to describe. The attribute needed is the power of creativity within yourself via learning, thinking, creating and rigorous study. Therefore the article is truely helpful for the readers. Thanks a lot for providing such a wonderful article. I await your next article with great curiosity.

    ReplyDelete

I respond to comments via email, so make sure I can respond!
For a faster response, please use Twitter or email: elleseesyou@gmail.com

More ways to keep up with me: Bloglovin, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram , Youtube or email: elleseesyou@gmail.com

You made my day by visiting! See ya tomorrow :)

Disclaimer:

All products mentioned are purchased by me unless stated.
All pics, thoughts, etc, are mine unless otherwise noted. Publishing or redistributing any content from this blog is strictly prohibited. Please seek permission first. Thank you.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...