5.17.2012

DIY: Get Shiny Hair

Did the winter leave you with dry, dull hair? Don't worry--I've got you covered. As always, I have something for just about everyone and every price range. Note: I'm only offering instant-result products, so shampoo/conditioner/supplements for shiny hair will not be mentioned. Read on:

F R E E / AT HOME:
  • Cold water...do your final rinse in cold water to seal hair cuticles. 
  • Cider vinegar...take a half a handful of vinegar and use it to rinse your hair. Don't rinse out. Use more vinegar if your have more hair. The smell will dissipate. I've found that for my hair, which grabs scent, it doesn't lose the smell until the next day. But for most, the smell will disappear.
  • Clarifying Shampoo + Listerine...I use Prell in extreme cases.
  • Egg & Water...whisk 1-2 eggs (depending on length/thickness) and mix in a little water (1-2 tbsp). Apply to hair (I've poured, "painted," and scooped) and leave on 30 min. Rinse out. I prefer to shampoo/condition after! To avoid drips, twist hair up, wrap in a towel, plastic wrap
  • Beer...take a can of beer and a little warm water in a spray bottle. Spray on dry hair and let set 30 min. Rinse out. Again it worked, but I was convinced it smelled.
  • Tea...steep a black tea bag and pour or spray cool tea on hair. Leave on 5 minutes and rinse out.
  • Rosemary Mist...Take 1 tbsp of rosemary (fresh smells, well, fresher, but dry is fine), spray bottle, 1 cup of water
  • Boil the water and add the rosemary. Allow to boil for a couple of minutes and then steep for around 5.

  • Once the water has cooled, carefully pour into the bottle. Don't worry if some of the rosemary doesn't get in the bottle--that's why you boiled it. Give it a good shake before spritzing on dry hair.
  • Feel free to use 2 tbsp rosemary/2 c water or more. I used 1/1 because I have a small spray bottle, but feel free to make a larger batch. This keeps for about a month, but is best within a couple of weeks.

N A M E  B R A N D ($10+):
  • The thicker the hair, the thicker the product will be needed to make it shiny.:
    • Thin-Fine: All Free/At Home products, aerosol sprays, drops, glazes, some mists (do a test run on a section), oil (tiny amount)...avoid products that are too greasy/weigh hair down
    • Medium-Thick: Free, drops, glaze, serums, mists, oils (for whatever reason Moroccan oil makes my hair drier and does not work), aerosols (check for alcohol, as this can dry out dry/damaged hair)
Current giveaways:

30 comments:

  1. I was just talking about the cold rinse today! I do that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got to get me a spray bottle to try multiple of these! And I love the Garnier Fructis product, use it every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips as always! I'm checking the product list!:)
    xoxo
    Jelena

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of that rosemary spray before...brilliant! Totally doing this:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such an awesome collection of tips, Elle. I seriously wish I would have done the cold rinse on my hair this morning. :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yay, this post is just what I needed! Eventhough we don't get most of the products you mentioned here in SA, the homemade tips are great and functional!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, totally didn't know about beer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Umm, yes, winter has left my hair a disaster! Thanks for this list. I plan on picking up a product the next time I'm at the store. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've done eggs whites and avocado! That works really well too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the cool water rinse trick! Then I follow up with a little Moroccan oil and boom! Shine City. ;)

    -Ashley
    http://lerougestylo.blog.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous tips as always! I need to try the eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, great kitchen tips! I need to try the vinegar one! Thanks for sharing! Hope you are having a wonderful day!
    -Jyoti
    Style-Delights Blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gonna have to try some of these DIY options!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. fabulous DIY project - have to try this.

    happy thursday!

    xoxo
    jasmine
    AdamAlexMommy

    ReplyDelete
  15. What great ideas! Which ones are your go-to or favorites?

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are awesome ideas - I'm definitely going to be trying the rosemary one (because vinegar/beer makes me nervous I won't lose the smell!). I tried olive oil one time and looked like a greaseball - it was TERRIBLE.
    I LIVE for Bumble & Bumble shine spray - it really works. But I'm kind of a hoe for B&B, so I'm a little biased ;) Great post, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have pretty fine hair and not a lot of it, so the off the shelf shine serums and sprays just tend to way my hair down. I'd definitely like to try some of the at home remedies--even if the rosemary one didn't make my hair shiny, I'll bet it smells amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm constantly trying products to make my hair shiny. I do love Garnier Shine Serum and Diamond Shine Drops. Also Fekkai Makes a great Glossing Serum. I should really try the at home ones though. This should be fun :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. THANK YOU, totally trying some of these!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I want to try vinegar, but I just can't–I know my hair will be just like yours, smelling for a day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have such dry hair and always have, but then I take incredibly hot showers (which are bad for the skin too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. For my hair I've used lemon juice, beer, egg & mayo. I like your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  23. you're definitely my go-to beauty girl. best diys ever.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My hair definitely needs some shine. Sadly, over heating them has dried out my ends!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes! The winter did leave my hair all dry and frizzy...I may want to try the eggs just for the heck of it. And I'll definitely make the rosemary mist.

    ReplyDelete
  26. i am always a sucker for anything that makes my hair smell like rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Um, amazing! I'm going to have to try this out on my frizz-ball hair. I haven't decided which one yet...I may just do all of them and see which one I like most.

    ReplyDelete
  28. i always love your tips!!!! i spray chamomile to enhance the redish shade of my hair because it adds shine and helps out the lighters strands to keep their color...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ooh interesting, I've heard of some of these DIYs, but not all. I'm not sure I could do the vinegar or the beer, but I'd love to try the rosemary spray. I don't think I'd mind at all smelling like rosemary!

    ReplyDelete

I respond to comments via email, so make sure I can respond!
For a faster response, please use Twitter or email: elleseesyou@gmail.com

More ways to keep up with me: Bloglovin, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram , Youtube or email: elleseesyou@gmail.com

You made my day by visiting! See ya tomorrow :)

Disclaimer:

All products mentioned are purchased by me unless stated.
All pics, thoughts, etc, are mine unless otherwise noted. Publishing or redistributing any content from this blog is strictly prohibited. Please seek permission first. Thank you.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...