8.15.2012

Back to School Week: 2-In-1 No Heat Hairstyles


Today's hairstyle will save you a little time and save your hair from heat! Enjoy!

No Heat Loose Curls
To give the braided hairstyles below some volume, texture and curl, try this basic technique (first shared here).

T O O L S:
M E T H O D:
  • Take 90% dry hair (or completely dry) and divide into 4 sections. Use 2 if you have fine, thin hair.
  • Wrap into 4 loose, flat buns and secure with bobby pins. We want loose curls here.
  • Gently mist hair with water. You don't want wet hair because it will still be wet when you take it down. Plus, hair is most fragile when it's wet.
  • Sleep in the buns or let air dry. Make sure the buns are place in comfortable sleeping locations. That sounded fancy....let's say it again: comfortable sleeping locations.
  • You can try the sock bun method or a donut bun as well if you prefer.
  • Optional: To define the curls, spray and scrunch with beachy waves spray. Use a tshirt to scrunch to avoid The Frizzies.




2-In-1 Side Braids
I like this hairstyle best on me with loose curls/waves, so use the tutorial above or use heat if you'd like! Straight hair looks cute with this as well.

T O O L S:
  • small, clear hair elastic
  • brush if hair is straight
M E T H O D 1: The Side Braid
  • Take a section of hair near the ear on one side of your part. Bring it around the back to meet the ear on the other side. For me, this is my right side.
  • Take a section of hair from the other side near the ear & join with section one. For me, this is the left side.
  • Begin braiding the sections together. You can do this either by splitting these two sections into 3 equal pieces, or by adding a third section of hair.
  • Braid all the way down and add a clear elastic near the bottom.
    • You can "fatten" the braid by slightly pulling it apart.
    • You can make the braid tiny by using smaller sections of hair.




M E T H O D 2: The Side Fishtail
  • Follow the exact same steps as above except you'll fishtail the two sections. This means you'll take a small piece of hair from the outside of section one and cross it over to the inside of section two. Are you scratching your head? Check out my Easiest Fishtail Braid Tutorial.
  • Secure with elastic.
    • You can "fatten" the braid by slightly pulling it aprt.
    • You can make the fishtail smaller/larger depending on the sections used.
  • Bonus Advanced Method! Try a French braid. If you'd like a pic of this, let me know & I can add one here.



Beauty/hair questions?
Requests?
Email or comment below!

36 comments:

  1. i love your loose curls elle! the fishtail with the curls is also sweet.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are super cute! I definitely will be trying the loose bun method soon. NO HEAT<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is soo pretty :)I'm now missing my long hair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have the best hair. It's so healthy and pretty. No heat is definitely a must because I don't want it all on the floor. LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such pretty hairstyles,
    the loose curl looks glam
    and the braid is equally lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those looks curls look amazing. They look very natural. And the braid is lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'll start practicing on those side braids. :)

    http://mandycrandell.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the side braid! Must try this :)

    XO
    www.pearlsandpaws.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having worked in the upper crust of Vidal Sasoon, I would love to get my hands on that hair.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two equally gorgeous looks and so great that it was a no-heat styling feature.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The side fish tail braid is so pretty - can't believe I've never thought of doing that

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these ideas! I'm always looking for ways to make my hair look cute without damaging it! No wonder your hair is so gorgeous.

    love jenny xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love all these looks and the blog's new look as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. During my time off, I'm going to be trying out lots of your different hair tutorials, including this side braid :) I'm debating getting my hair chopped off again...eeek!

    P.S. Loving that you're putting more pics of you on the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I see your blog is looking a little different!

    Love no-heat hair styling, so I think I'll start putting more braids in my hair this month, for sure!

    Also love your DIY teeth whitening in the previous post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Im gonna try out the beachy waves do. I hate blow drying my hair everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are all such cute hair styles!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your hair always looks gorgeous. I'm so jealous :) I'm totally going to try this bobby pin trick out!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My god you have the prettiest hair ever!!! definitely trying the bun curling method.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the tutorial for loose waves! It's such a perfect back to school hair style.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love these! Even though I won't be going to school in the fall I will be definitely trying these out :P Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just heart your blog! I'm hosting 2 giveaways that I thought you would be interested in (Brushlove & Blue Sky) :)

    P.S. I'm a new GFC follower!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Buns are definitely a great. easy way to build waves!

    xoxo,
    Chic 'n Cheap Living

    ReplyDelete
  24. You seriously have the most gorgeous hair, love! Love both the braids and the gorgeous curls :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've tried a bazillion little ways and tips to do no heat curls. I'll try the spray bottle tip here !

    ReplyDelete
  26. i am loving these no-heat hairstyles because i'm super scared of using curling irons, haha! ;) i do a variation of method #1. braiding my hair the night before always always works for me! :D

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/
    Win 3 kinds of truffles from The Madelaine Chocolate Company! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love all these! Here's a question, I'm absolutely horrible at braiding, I mean my 4year old girl is ready to renounce me as her mother because I cannot braid her hair. Would it be too crazy to request a step by step French braiding for dummies post? Or some other quick updo for girls thing? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  28. You should be in a hair commercial....for realz!

    ReplyDelete
  29. ur curls look GREAT!
    xo
    MOSAMUSE

    www.MOSAMUSE.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Aw, so pretty! Love the loose curls with the braid!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh I vote for the braid!

    =)

    Okay, I know there's no voting but I love that one!
     
    oxo,
     
    ML
    TWENTY YORK STREET
    Follow @20YS on Twitter : @20YS
    Follow @20YS on Facebook: TWENTY YORK STREET
    Recent post: http://www.twentyyork.com/2012/08/mercedes-benz-startup-ottawa-edition.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. the braids are sooo good!! i like that no heat is used (because my hair's totally dry)

    ReplyDelete

I respond to comments via email, so make sure I can respond!
For a faster response, please use Twitter or email: elleseesyou@gmail.com

More ways to keep up with me: Bloglovin, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram , Youtube or email: elleseesyou@gmail.com

You made my day by visiting! See ya tomorrow :)

Disclaimer:

All products mentioned are purchased by me unless stated.
All pics, thoughts, etc, are mine unless otherwise noted. Publishing or redistributing any content from this blog is strictly prohibited. Please seek permission first. Thank you.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...