8.16.2012

Back to School Week: Flawless Face Routine (How to Hide Imperfections)


I have freckles, large pores, and the occasional pimple, but on the occasions when I want a flawless face, I use these techniques. It requires 4 products (primer, foundation, powder, concealer). I am including different techniques to try depending on the (what I consider to be on my face) imperfections that need to be hidden. If you are doing a lot of coverage, it will take time to get results. I have never experienced a breakout with the products mentioned. I do not do this everyday--just for special occasions. For this tutorial, I used powder, which I normally don't, so it looks very matte and thicker than usual. I know this tutorial has helped many of you, so enjoy! 

C R I T E R I A: 
easy on the budget (as many drugstore products as possible)
good coverage
--I tried to use as many "for everyone" products as I could. I'm skipping facial primer all over my face because it causes some to break out, instead using it on areas with biggest pores.
--Again, I don't do this everyday, and this can take a little time depending on what you want concealed.


T O O L S:
  • Benefit Porefessional Primer
  • Revlon 24 Hour Colorstay Whipped (this looks better as the day goes on, I'm convinced)
  • Physician's Formula Cover ToxTen (it makes me very matte/hides pores. Rimmel Matte is my recommendation for those with oily skin)
  • Beauty Blender Dupe
  • Concealer(s) of choice
  • Flat top brush
  • Powder brush
  • Small pointed eyeliner brush

before/after

M E T H O D:
Pores:
  • Wet your face with cold water. 
  • Using fingers, rub & pat Benefit Porefessional only into areas that have those big pores until blended. You cannot shrink pores--nope--but you can minimize their appearance. 
  • To further insure everything is blended, I take a brush and swirl clockwise and counterclockwise until the pores are gone. I give the primer have a few minutes to set and soak in.
  • For this tutorial, after doing the steps below, I pushed powder into my pores to completely hide them temporarily, using a powder puff.
Freckles & Redness:
  • Dampen your beauty blender dupe & set aside. The damp sponge will help to create that flawless, smooth, airbrushed look.
  • Dot the Revlon Colorstay Whipped onto the face. I use the top/applicator to place it on my cheeks, forehead, nose, and chin. I like the Whipped version because it blends so well; however, the original Colorstay has formulas for dry, oily, and combo skin.
  • Use the dampened sponge to pat/press and roll the foundation into place--don't use it to drag the foundation. All you'll do is just drag the foundation around and it'll end up on the sponge. 
  • I do a small second coat of foundation only if/where needed.
  • Use a flat top kabuki brush, like this one from Sigma, and swirl clockwise and counter, just to make sure it's all blended. 
  • I let it set while I do my concealer under my eyes.
  • Since I have wrinkles (grr), I use the Physician's Formula Cover Tox Ten. I love this and apply with a powder brush, like this $3 one from ELF. Use a clean (or just rub the brush on a towel) powder brush to go back over the face. There should be no product on the brush--it's just to brush off any facial excess. If you have oily skin, you might want to try Rimmel's Stay Matte Powder.
  • Optional: You shouldn't need one, using this method, but you can use a setting spray (try Urban Decay or ELF). I DIY my own Makeup Setting Spray. If you have super dry skin, setting spray can dry you out, so keep that in mind.
Pimples:
  • I don't have any to cover, but this is how to cover a pimple. Never use concealer to hide a zit unless it matches your skin tone exactly. All you'll do is highlight it, since concealers are usually lighter than our skin tone.
  • Use a small, pointed brush and dip the tiniest bit of foundation. I like to dip into the cap/top of the foundation. You'll need the smallest amount. Smaller than you think!
  • Dab onto and around pimple and then blend. Repeat if needed until completely covered. Set with powder.



Please stop by my blog again! Thanks for reading.

22 comments:

  1. So pretty and polished!

    http://mandycrandell.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like the morning war paint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elle, its like you read my mind, I needed these tips so urgently since my skin is going haywire. Thanks you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the real Beauty Blender (gifted) but will give this dupe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this post, I definitely need help with camouflaging pores, redness, and the occasional pimple. My skin scars really easily too, so I feel like I'm constantly using concealer!! (Although I will say I like freckles and don't want to cover those up!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flawless indeed! You look beautiful!

    Thanks for the Porefessional rec- I've been looking for a good pore-hiding primer. :)

    -Ashley
    http://lerougestylo.blog.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a beautiful face! flawless :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely going to try this! my pores are always visible and it drives me crazy! I have tried a pore minimizer by clinique but sometimes I feel it makes no difference.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I had known you and your blog when I was in high school. I would have looked a lot better :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty! :-)

    What is this Revlon Color Stay Whipped? Is it foundation?

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are some great tips. I can't believe that my semester begins on Monday!


    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  12. Man you do an awesome job! I'm a little jealous, I feel like I'm so makeup dumb sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfectly flawless face, sweets! Great tutorial as usual.

    Happy almost weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous Elle! Definitely check my blog post tomorrow, because I'm going from a makeup free face to made up with benefit. I'm showing all of my imperfections. Tried the POREfessional and love it. Will feature it in my post tomorrow too. Great job! I'll have to try some of these other cosmetics.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful tutorial! Might have to pick up the Revlon Colorstay Whipped...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your skin looks flawless! I will use these tips for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You skin looks amazing! And primer always causes me to break out :( I need to try this!

    XO
    www.pearlsandpaws.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is fantastic! I always have things I feel like I want to hide, but don't know how. I appreciate the tips! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Melissa Theis, I appreciate you not commenting anonymously. I *wish* this was Photoshopped. I think all of my photos could benefit from this--if you've ever read my blog before, you'll know they're my weakest blog feature. I'm sure you know you hurt my feelings with your statement. May your day be lovely and thank you for stopping by. Just be nicer with the comments next time, okay?

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer:

All products mentioned are purchased by me unless stated.
All pics, thoughts, etc, are mine unless otherwise noted. Publishing or redistributing any content from this blog is strictly prohibited. Please seek permission first. Thank you.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...