4.04.2014

How To: Milkmaid Braid in 5 Easy Steps

Happy Friday! I can't believe the weekend is upon us. I'm looking forward to doing nothing, since this sinus infection has overtaken my life! But seriously, if you know me at all, you know I'm horrible at doing nothing. If I do venture out, I'll definitely be doing this Milkmaid braid--it's a classic style that's easy to do. I got it out of DIY Braids by Sasha Coefield.

Sidenote: This book was sent to me last year and unfortunately was part of the Hard Drive Crash of 2013. I'm still a little bitter about losing that info. Anyway, I was showing a friend a hairstyle out of the book, and asking her didn't she remember seeing it on the blog? She didn't because I never posted it. Oops. So without further ado, here's a Milkmaid Braid (via the book DIY Braids) in 5 easy steps.



































               1--Section off the upper right quarter of your hair and secure it in a ponytail. My tip: If you have fine hair, try using some dry shampoo to give it texture.

2--Sweep the hair from the left side of your head over to the right and start braiding it upwards.
3--Braid until you reach the ends of your hair, then secure the braid with an elastic. Pin the braid to the top of your head. My tips: To get pins to stay, I spray them with a little dry shampoo and insert them bumpy-side down, and criss-cross (will make ya jump, jump) them.

4--Take the first section you secure earlier and remove the elastic or clip. Sweep it to the left side of your head and begin braiding upwards, following the same as steps 2 and 3.
5--Bobby pin the braid to the top of you head. Tuck under the ends of each braid so that they don't show.























My tips: This looks great on on fine, curly, or thick hair--I like it best on fine hair, as I always feel my braids look too thick! A fishtail version looks cute too. Sounds pretty easy, right? It came from the book DIY Braids. Here's some more info:





























Overall, I loved this book. I think it's awesome a vlogger has a book! DIY Braids features over 30 braid styles, for all skill levels (easy, intermediate, hard). While the Milkmaid Braid came in at 5 steps, most of them are around 9, but they are very detailed, making the tutorials easy to follow. 

There is also great, simple, clean photography--just the hair and the style in progress. There are also styles featuring a model with curly hair. If you've ever wondered how to do a certain braid, this book has it.

 It also covers the basics, like the 3-strand braid and other techniques.






While many of the styles are cute and casual, there are some that are perfect for day, night, work, formal events or weddings. This would make a great gift for teens, those who want to learn the basic braids and beyond, no-heat hairstyles, and for those looking to mix up their hairstyles. This book would come in handy especially in the summer! I even learned a couple of new styles! I highly recommend this book and suggest checking it out.

35 comments:

  1. This is so cute and perfect for keeping your hair out of your way when it gets hot outside! I can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am horrible at braiding my hair but I hope to learn from you. This is so cute. Hopefully I can do it.

    And here is to you getting better soon. Enjoy the weekend. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks cute on you! And does indeed make me want to jump... jump. Haha. I'm fairly inept at braiding. It's not that I don't know how to do it, but my t-rex arms just don't reach all up in there very well :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is super cute. If I had long hair I would love to try this out.
    Beautetude

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love love braids. I'll see if I can find it around here. Can't wait when my daughter's hair is long enough so I can braid her hair everyday:D

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks cute and sounds easy! I am so bad at doing braids. Always try, but I end up looking like a crazy person! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your hairs dear !! Feel better soon :) ! have a nice weekend :) ! xx
    www.ambfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seeing pretty looks like make me wish I had long hair. Looks lovely on you!

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this, it's so cute!! I've been wanting to try a waterfall braid but it seems so difficult. If you try it you should definitely do a post!

    <3, Pamela
    sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this and you look so cute with it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your hair looks so pretty like this! I am terrible at braiding my own hair :/
    Sinus infections are the worst! Hope you feel better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO cute!!! and now i wish i had long hair again ;) xo jillian - cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks great! I need to do braids more often. Such a great look for 2nd or 3rd day hair.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been wanting to try a milkmaid braid!!! Unfortunately, the tutorials I usually find don't work on my hair because the layers poke out too much, but I'm going to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey beauty you have a really nice blog,love your style,taste and pictures . Have a nice day =)
    http://www.obsessionwithfashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this hair style! I hope you feel better over the weekend, Elle.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved the hairdos. Happy weekend :)
    http://naturelbellefemme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love braids for days when I just don't want to do my hair or 3rd say hair! Looks cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. milkmaid braids are my favorite ! yours looks super pretty =)
    M♥
    Simply Sutter

    ReplyDelete
  20. that looks awesome! I am soo terrible at doing my hair-usually I rock the bedhead "chic". =)

    xx

    Erin @ http://www.truffles-ruffles.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. really cute! I think my hair still needs to be a bit longer to reach though

    http://www.mercuteify.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice job on the braids! You hair looks cute!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow the outcome is really beautiful. You look gorgeous!

    Kisses
    B
    Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  24. lovely. thanks for coming over my blog. xo

    http://fleuryina.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've watched a few of Sasha's hair tutorials on YouTube. She's great! Yours look great too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I saw this photo on IG and already thought: this is so super cute! You look like a bavarian sweet girl! Lovely! Hugs, Sissi

    ReplyDelete
  27. You make it look so easy! lol. I can never braid my hair properly like you do. There's always a stray strand somewhere when I'm done... lol.
    (^^,)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think this style is so cute! I highly doubt I'll ever have hair long enough for it but I've done it on my little sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That style looks too cute on you! Love your shirt!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. I loved your Instagram photo of this braid. You looked GORGEOUS! I just wish my hair were long enough to do this. Maybe in a little while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. How did I MISS THIS???? I suck at doing this braid so I am definitely going to be using this tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh I've been seeing a lot of people with this hairstyle but I always thought it was so hard I didn't know you did separate braids and pinned them. You made it seem easy enough, I need to try this especially for summer when it gets hot and want to put my hair up. :)

    Nina
    http://curvymod.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I respond to comments via email, so make sure I can respond!
For a faster response, please use Twitter or email: elleseesyou@gmail.com

More ways to keep up with me: Bloglovin, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram , Youtube or email: elleseesyou@gmail.com

You made my day by visiting! See ya tomorrow :)

Disclaimer:

All products mentioned are purchased by me unless stated.
All pics, thoughts, etc, are mine unless otherwise noted. Publishing or redistributing any content from this blog is strictly prohibited. Please seek permission first. Thank you.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...