11.26.2014

How To: Zodiac Constellation Sparkle Nails


Hey you! I have not done a nail tutorial in forever, so I thought I would share one that has a special meaning to me, and is perfect for the holidays. My Grandmother has been doing hair and nails for ages, and when my sister and I would spend the night, she'd do our nails. She would give us a special manicure with one rhinestone on a nail--the original accent nail but in the 80s! Anyway, I just thought it was the most glamorous thing as a little girl. Thus, my love affair with sparkle began. Plus, a certain 5 year old I know is fascinated with constellations--current phase. She asked me for constellations and stars on my nails--and she loved how this turned out. It made the approval of a 5 year old, and hopefully yours too.



I wanted to keep this really easy and give you lots of options. I gope you give this a try!
You'll need-
  • base and top coat
  • polish (I chose this dark navy)
  • Sharpie marker in silver or white
  • silver glitter polish


-Apply a base coat to protect your nails and allow to dry.
-Apply a coat or two of your chosen nail polish. I used navy here, but I have also done this with black. Allow to dry.

Find your (or your beloved's or your kids') zodiac constellation online. I'm a Libra, by the way. Not a zodiac fan? Choose any constellation you like or a random pattern of stars. Now comes the fun part! Use your Sharpie to add dots to create your constellation. It is so easy! You can do an accent nail and leave the rest blank and it looks so chic, as pictured above.



If you're like me, you just need some more sparkle. From here you can add a silver glitter top coat. You can use your Sharpie--the white marker I had is double-ended, with one end having a fine tip--to connect the dots, to make it look more like the shape of the constellation. Add a top coat and you're done!

Tips:
  • Make this nail look your own! Keep it as simple or fancy as you'd like.
  • Sometimes when using a marker on a glossy nail, the marker can wipe off, depending on the marker. To combat this, I just add a matte top coat before applying the marker and then using a top coat (matte or glossy).
  • Markers will make it easier, but feel free to use polish, and a dotting tool of some sort, like an actual nail dotting tool, toothpick, bobby pin or straight pin.
  • If you're feeling especially fancy, use small rhinestones, individual glitters, or sequins.
  • You can do the constellations of your loved ones or your crush too!
Giveaways!

43 comments:

  1. Great idea! These nails look so pretty :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! This turned out so cute! Thanks for sharing this fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea using the sharpie for the constellation. Very fun look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is such an amazing idea - it looks awesome!

    Courtney ~ Sartorial Sidelines

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would never think to use a sharpie! What a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously obsessing over this manicure! So cute and fun! And seems pretty easy!

    <3, Pamela
    sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simple but a great idea, Elle. This would look so chic!

    Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
  8. So fun!!! You made it look really easy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. look how fancy they look! love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know you could use a sharpie on your nails. It comes off okay?

    ReplyDelete
  11. So loving this nail art! It looks so professional!!

    Jayme & Mendi @ Her Late Night Cravings

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a neat nail design!! You are so talented!

    Erica
    www.pumpsandpushups.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally love the result! It's beautiful and looks easy to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a clever idea! Have a Happy Thanksgiving Elle! (:

    www.accordingtokiki123.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this look!!!! So fun and different. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this post! Beautiful pictures!

    www.chionebrasiliahardy.blogspot.co.uk

    Chione XX

    ReplyDelete
  17. hold on, I've got 2 silver sharpies in my possession and I can't believe I've never thought to use them this way!!! I LOVE this combo of colors!

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE this idea, can't wait to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are so cute!! I would have never thought of this!

    XO, Erica

    www.mymistersmrs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. You're creativity is astounding - yet another thing I would have NEVER thought of. Granted you did get some help from a 5 year old but still, lol. Brilliant.

    Beauty Isles | Blogiversary Giveaway: Too Faced, LORAC, and NYX

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG this is amazing and you have patience! Props to you!

    Allie of ALLIENYC
    allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a cute idea! I never would have thought of using a sharpie on my nails

    Katie xx
    OkayKate.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, wow! This is absolutely the coolest thing I have ever seen! What a creative idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great idea, I will try this for sure:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I always want to do some fun nail art and then I just paint my nails and do a glitter nail. This is cool!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the nails so pretty!

    God bless,
    XO, Claire
    Http://www.littlemissfashionqueen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is so cool and creative!!! I do nails as well but I've never tried out a design like this!! Definitely going to try it now!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great idea! I am a huge fan of sparkle too, so I really love this---and it actually looks simple enough for me to pull off (well, we'll see how I do haha)

    Kisses from Buenos Aires xx
    http://amateandarottweiler.blogspot.com.ar/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Okay, this is TOO COOL. I'm not usually one for nail art, but I really love this! :)
    Happy Thanksgiving, Elle!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  30. I loved the pretty yet simple nail art.. Happy Thanksgiving to u xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  31. The perfect time of year to add a touch of sparkle! Happy Thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Elle, these nails are SOOOOO gorgeous!!! We can't wait to give them a try, so clever!

    xx 365hangers

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yes!!!! I'm obsessed with all things constellation (just look at my jewelry). I'm taking some time off from my shop, so I'll be doing this for sure.

    http://www.somethingmonumental.com

    ReplyDelete

I respond to comments via email, so make sure I can respond!
For a faster response, please use Twitter or email: elleseesyou@gmail.com

More ways to keep up with me: Bloglovin, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram , Youtube or email: elleseesyou@gmail.com

You made my day by visiting! See ya tomorrow :)

Disclaimer:

All products mentioned are purchased by me unless stated.
All pics, thoughts, etc, are mine unless otherwise noted. Publishing or redistributing any content from this blog is strictly prohibited. Please seek permission first. Thank you.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...