8.23.2011

Back to School Week: Picture Day/School ID Makeup (with drugstore products)

For this mini-theme week, 
I'll share just about everything you need to start the school year off right. 
Picture Day/ School ID Makeup

If you've ever had a bad school pic (*cough* 7th grade *cough*) or a horrible school ID, then this post is for you. If not, consider yourself one of the lucky ones and consider me jealous! Not in school? Um...use this look for your license or work ID tag! Yeah! Just read on to see my perfect Picture Day Makeup--with drugstore products:

  • Do your usual primer/foundation/concealer/powder or whatever your routine is.
  • I recommend a neutral eye. I used CoverGirl Eye Enhancers palette in Golden Sunset; one of my faves! The Naked palette has some similar shades, if you've got that instead.
  • Place the lightest color under your eyebrows to highlight & all over your lid. Put the middle shade in the middle of your lid, as the golden shade makes eyes (your iris, really) sparkle. Put the darkest shade in your crease, using a windshield wiper motion. Pat, with your finger, the darkest shade into the outer corner of your eyes.
  • I like to play up my lashes, so I used L'Oreal liner and Maybelline Falsies Flares mascara. Use an eyelash curler and 2 coats of mascara. BONUS: Here's how to avoid clumpy lashes
  • Lipstick, in this case CoverGirl LipPerfection, is just a shade darker than what I normally wear, so it will show up in pictures better.
  • A peachy blush, like this one from CoverGirl, is budget-friendly and looks good on almost everyone.

Remember:
  • Cover those blemishes/imperfections with a coverup that not only covers, but treats (if zits). Make sure it's YOUR shade--don't use lighter shades. This isn't a concealer, and we don't want to highlight your blemishes/imperfections (like little veins by your nose, for example). I like Bare Minerals or Neutrogena. BONUS: Here's my Zit Zapping Mask.
  • I wanted a look that would look good in black & white or color. I didn't want the makeup to be austere (SAT word, whattttt?) and I wanted something that would look good on just about anyone. BONUS: Here's my recipe for a Makeup Setting Spray.
  • For eyes, avoid crazy colors or a black smokey eye, as they could look too intense in photos. Classic is key.
  • Today isn't the day to try a new look; for example, avoid if you've never tried eyeliner or never worn winged liner. Try those another day.
  • Avoid shine! Use Urban Decay's Deslick or blotting papers. BONUS: Check out my oil-stopping mask here.
What makeup do you wear for important pics? Do you play up your eyes or lips? Both?
PS: I Guest Posted over at Slow Southern Style! Go see!

26 comments:

  1. Great tips and so true-stick to neutrals and basics!

    xoxo,
    Chic 'n Cheap Living

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got the makeup part down, but I NEVER know how to pose in ID photos. I inevitably end up looking goony, which is especially bad as wearing my work badge is required...eek!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely adorable blog :)
    You give some really good tips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol, "today isn't the day to try a new look" - how true for picture day. Love your tips!

    xo Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always been lucky to have good ID photos. To prevent the person behind from just snapping a photo I basically will start similar as I watch them adjusting the camera! You have same great tips here and I am still struggling to find the right concealer. They're always too dark or too light.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I have a big event, I use a bit more foundation than normal (and I'll usually self-tan my face/neck/chest the night before for a bit of a glow) and I play up my eyes. :)

    -Ashley
    http://lerougestylo.blog.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, god I wish I had these tips throughout high school and college for ID pictures! I'll definitely be taking them into consideration for my next passport picture :)
    I usually just put a little more of everything on - a little more foundation, blush, mascara than usual (but not caking it on!). Great tips, dear. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous tips! Do not try a new look that day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How funny your sister's name is Holly Jean, too!! Small world :)

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bad ID's and worse school photos are rites of passage. These are great tips!


    GTBB,
    http://badjoan.blogspot.com
    http://cookingjoan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tips again Elle! I needed this a couple of weeks ago for my new ID badge picture.

    www.iwouldsorockthis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the hair style tips hun! Wish i knew how to do a fishtail braid haha. Man i can remember back when i was in school - those days we didnt wear any makeup to school, how times have changed!! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha oh man my 7th grade photo was THE WORST too! I had a perm....then cut my hair real short. Enough said.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This post reminds me of the old high school days!

    Lots of love from Sydney,

    x Kel

    talking all things French

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stop the bus!!! When did Neutrogena start having their own mineral makeup base? What huh? Last time I went to Sephora and bloomies I don't remember seeing it, but that was a favorite brand of mine, esp shower gel ( I cant use too much perfume in certain places) but forgetaboutit I can't find that brand abroad.. WHY? I would love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great tips for looking pretty and polished for your picture!
    xo Josie
    www.winksmilestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. i can barely get my moisturizer on in the am lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. What great tips you have here!!! Great advice! My staples are a little mascara, Rosebud salve lipbalm and my face lotion! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!!! What are your rules for relaxing on vacation? :)

    www.MrsCapretta.com
    Recipes Fashion Marriage

    ReplyDelete
  20. awesome tips!! i always had terrible pics in highschool - so glad those days are over :)

    Sam @ fitness food & faith

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing and oh so useful tips girl!! Thx for sharing.

    PS. Thx for your comment on my blog and would love to follow each other if you like. Hope to hear back from you soon.


    <3 Marina
    Fashion.MakeUp.LifeStyle

    ReplyDelete
  22. i am bad with makeup so this was a great post for me! :) thanks for the comment too!
    hammocksandtrampolines.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is obviously not a 'back to school week' list for a computer science grad student ;) People would think we were odd if we wore make up on a regular basis. ...although, that doesn't mean I don't wear some eye shadow / mascara from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dang it, we had pictures yesterday--I should have read this first! But these are great tips--I need to make that Setting Spray!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Where were you when I was in school? I could have used your guidance! These are great tips. I do a lot of primping for anything involving pictures I have to carry around with my (driver's license, work badge, etc). They only turn out well some of the time.

    *Erin

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for the blog post. it was really interesting.

    ReplyDelete

I respond to comments via email, so make sure I can respond!
For a faster response, please use Twitter or email: elleseesyou@gmail.com

More ways to keep up with me: Bloglovin, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram , Youtube or email: elleseesyou@gmail.com

You made my day by visiting! See ya tomorrow :)

Disclaimer:

All products mentioned are purchased by me unless stated.
All pics, thoughts, etc, are mine unless otherwise noted. Publishing or redistributing any content from this blog is strictly prohibited. Please seek permission first. Thank you.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...