T O O L S:
- Eyelash Curler
- Lengthening Mascara
- Volumizing Mascara
M E T H O D:
- Curl lashes with an eyelash curler. Even if you don't use mascara, this will make a HUGE difference. Find one that suits the shape of your eyes--this is necessary. I've had excellent luck with Revlon, Tweezerman, and Shiseido.
- I curl for 5 seconds at the base (you'll want one that doesn't pinch) and then pump the curler as I get to the middle and hold for about 3 seconds, and then pump until the tip, which I hold for a second or two.
- Next, I add lengthening mascara. I'm currently loving L'Oreal Telescopic. It features a plastic comb "brush" which is excellent for getting every lash, separating lashes, and not clumping. The formula is a wet one. It doesn't aggravate my contacts/sensitive eyes.
- I apply this mascara in a fan pattern--meaning I think of my lashes as a fan. I brush from the root to tip towards the left section, then the middle, and then the right. I usually do one coat.
- I hold the wand vertically to get the ends for extra length.
- Finally, I add volumizing mascara, like Prestige's Blackest Lashes (which is a drier formula) or my fave L'Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black (wet mascara). Both brushes are traditional mascara wands.
- I repeat the fan pattern and wiggle the wand from the root to the tip. And then make sure my end lashes are covered by brushing them vertically. I usually do one coat.
- To get rid of any clumps, I'll brush through them with a spoolie (clean mascara wand). I've gotten these for free from Sephora and use those for my travel bag, or use a spoolie brow brush, like mine from Ardell.
- That's it! It doesn't take me oodles of time I promise--just an additional 5 minutes to my makeup routine.
Other lengthening mascara options I use often:
- Maybelline Stiletto (I loved the old formula better--am I the only one?), CoverGirl Lash Blast Length, Wet N Wild Mega Length (not my fave but works in a pinch)
Other volumizing mascara options I use often:
- CoverGirl Lash Blast (another FAVORITE), Dior Show (expensive classic), Rimmel Scandal Eyes (another wet mascara), Benefit They're Real (dries out quicker than I'd like for the $ but good).
Other options for smaller eyes:
- CoverGirl One By One (plastic wand) , CoverGirl Falsies (curved brush)
- I excluded mascaras that have fibers in them, since they aggravate my eyes & I do not use them.
dry vs wet formulas
What's your favorite mascara?
Bonus posts you might like: