7.23.2013

Review: Best and Worst Primers To Hide Pores


Pores. Ugh. As I've gotten older, my pores have decided they needed to be the center of attention. At all times. It's common as we age, and while there's no miracle cream to shrink them, we can hide them. My top trick is to use a face primer designed to hide pores. These go on before foundation (or alone) and mattify the face to create an illusion of blurring pores. I'm reviewing a few of them today. Check 'em out:


  1. L'Oreal RevitaLift Miracle Blur--I love this stuff! It instantly blurs lines and hides pores. Whenever I use it on blog pics, I'm accused of using Photoshop, so it must be good, right? I used it on my How to Hide Pores tutorial. It's white, very concentrated with a silica base. Use it alone or before foundation for best results. It also has SPF 30! 1.18FL oz. $25 (look for the small sizes to save $)
  2. Benefit The Porefessional--This is my favorite, and I wear it year-round, as the L'Oreal can be a little too thick for me in the summer. It's a nude primer that blends in with skin. It is oil-free and has Vitamin E. Unlike some primers, this can be used not only as a primer, but as a touch up once makeup is applied, or even to cover blemishes (if used with a concealer or foundation). .75oz $30
  3. Too Faced Primed and Poreless--This is almost as good as Benefit, and is just a little thinner in consistency. This nude primer features Vitamins A & C, Mulberry extract and Retinol. Note: There is a new version, Primed and Poreless Pure, that is oil-free and for sensitive skin. 1oz $30
  4. NYX Pore Filler--As you can see, the above primers are really pricey, so when I saw this, I wanted it as a cheaper alternative. It does a pretty good job of covering pores, but I prefer the others above, as this one feels thinner but almost grittier. It's a lighter pink primer that is silica-based. Still on the fence as to if I would repurchase. .67oz $12.99
  5. Rimmel London Fix & Perfect Foundation Primer--This primer is the least expensive of the bunch, but does not compare at all to the others. It looks brown-orange but blends into skin. It is very liquid-y in texture, features silica and Vitamin E. It doesn't blur pores, but the product goes into them (like foundation) to sort of fill them in. I don't think it does any better of a job than regular primer, and I would not repurchase. 1oz $6.89
Overall: If you have wrinkles or serious pores, try the L'Oreal Miracle Blur. If you want a product that is not as thick, try the Benefit. If you have oily skin, try the Too Faced Pure version. If you're on a budget, try the NYX but I don't think you'll like it as much as the other three. And while I love Rimmel products, skip this one.

Do you use primers just for pores?
Which ones is your favorite?


24 comments:

  1. My pores aren't too bad, but my skin is a little splotchy from years of acne, so I'm always looking for primers and foundations with good coverage (but that aren't heavy or cakey). SO, I will definitely be trying the Loreal primer!

    ~Jacy
    www.laviedelenore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great comparison! I love how you cover both the good and the bad primers that you have that way we know which ones to purchase and which to avoid purchasing! I really trust your reviews because they don't try to add a bunch of fluff which can just get confusing. I really would like to try the L'Oreal Miracle Blur, however $25 is really quite much for a drugstore product, but I guess compared to the high-end primers, it's still less. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The L'oreal looks awesome and it is so thick! I've liked Smashbox and have to use it a bit more to see if it really works for me.


    xoxo,
    Chic 'n Cheap Living

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never used a primer before. This post was really helpful. Thanks so much!;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't tried the others, but Two Faced was nice. It was a little too greasy for me though. Have you tried Clinique? Its pore minimizer works well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never used primer before but had been contemplating if I should get Benefit The Porefessional. This review is extremely helpful for me to make my decision, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just got a sample primer from Lancome over the weekend. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm looking forward to it... T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been using the NYX and I agree that it's just ok. As soon as I sampled Porefessional, I was disappointed in the NYX!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I had no idea the L'Oreal product was so good - I've got to check that out!

    Courtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to try a primer for pores, especially during the summer. L'Oreal RevitaLift Miracle Blur sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, thanks for sharing this... i have pores also and i hate it, thanks for the review... now i know what to used :)

    It’s a GIRL Thing

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! I have major pores around my nose and cheeks that need to disappear. The Too Faced one sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hadn't heard of the L'Oreal primer before this post- but now I think I have to have it! :)

    -Ashley
    http://lestylorouge.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have huge pores so I feel your pain! I love Miracle Blur it's amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. dang girl i didnt no that loreal primer was that good! i actually need it, no joke. I dont even care if its $25 because guess what? that is cheaper than the others and its still drugstore. if its that good, it is worth it, honestly. I have tried elf's primer and was not into it. smash box and tarte primers are both pretty good but i think i liked smashbox better. miracle blur is on my list (:

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've tried L'Oreal RevitaLift Miracle Blur, but I kind of feel like it clogs my pores. Am I just being totally ridiculous? Because that's entirely possible.

    ReplyDelete
  17. great review!! i don't use a primer now, but maybe i should!!

    xo,
    Sandy
    Sandy a la Mode

    ReplyDelete
  18. I only got into primers a few short months ago and I am obsessed , dying to try the benefit one but unfortunately its not sold in South Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Once again -great tips. I have a few pores next to my nose that I would like to cover up.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great review! I like the comparisons. This might sound weird, but another blog I read suggested using Monistat Anti-Chafing Gel as a foundation primer. I have combination/oily skin and wear powder foundation, so I was looking for a primer to help with shine and allow my foundation last longer. The anti-chafing gel (if you can get over the fact you're putting this one your face) apparently has a lot of the same ingredients as makeup primers without the "extra" ingredients you might not want on your skin. I have found the anti-chafing gel works really well for the reasons I wanted a primer. I don't have too many oversized pores (yet), so I can't really be sure if this would be a good option for hiding pores.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like the Miracle Blur, especially if I want my makeup to really last all day. I also really like the Cover Girl Simply Ageless Serum Primer to help my under-eye concealer stay on. Using them together makes my skin look a lot better!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So many people love the Benefit Porefessional, but personally I found it waaaay too greasy for my oily skin. Based on your comparison, if Too Faced is a little thinner, maybe that's one for me to try!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Replying to your reply... Lol. Thanks!! I will try the L'Oreal! The only two I have ever had any luck with were Maybelline SuperStay and Covergirl Outlast (both, I think, are no longer in production). The SuperStay was a 2-in-1 that dispensed together. The Outlast was a 2-in-1 that you could dispense separately, but they were in the same bottle.

    ReplyDelete

I respond to comments via email, so make sure I can respond!
For a faster response, please use Twitter or email: elleseesyou@gmail.com

More ways to keep up with me: Bloglovin, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram , Youtube or email: elleseesyou@gmail.com

You made my day by visiting! See ya tomorrow :)

Disclaimer:

All products mentioned are purchased by me unless stated.
All pics, thoughts, etc, are mine unless otherwise noted. Publishing or redistributing any content from this blog is strictly prohibited. Please seek permission first. Thank you.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...