Fact: anytime I smell or ingest mint, I sneeze at least 3 times in a row, but I still love mint. And I love this DIY. To conclude this Holiday Party Week, I'm sharing an easy gift to make (or keep for yourself). You only need 4 ingredients and a few minutes. Check out my Candy Cane Sugar Scrub:
I N G R E D I E N T S
sugar (use amount needed to fill container. I used 4 cups here, but usually a cup will do)
peppermint oil (15 drops for 4 c)
sweet almond or jojoba oil (1 c, but add until you reach that sugar scrub consistency)
optional: soap colorant (add drops and mix until desired color)
M E T H O D
Pour and mix ingredients--that's it!
The sugar is an exfoliant, the oil acts as a carrier oil to dilute the peppermint oil and to moisturize the skin.
Optional: Divide mix (or sugar before adding ingredients) in half. Using soap colorant, add drops to half and mix until desired color.
To give the candy cane effect, layer white sugar scrub with the red in the container. Or just use all red sugar scrub.
Store in a tightly-sealed container free of sunlight.
N O T E S
- The good ole disclaimer: If you have sensitivities to peppermint or any sort of medical condition that is exacerbated by peppermint, you might want to avoid this.
- Use caution entering/exiting the tub/shower due to the scrub.
- The oil usually settles to the bottom of the container, so the scrub will need to be stirred periodically.
- I like using soap colorant (found in the soap/candle making aisle of the craft store and online) as it doesn't stain hands/tub like food/natural food coloring does.
- Not into sugar scrubs for the body? I've used this as a lip scrub, leg scrub before shaving my legs--it's a must, foot scrub, hand scrub, elbow and knee scrub, and I'll add some scoops to the tub/shower to dissolve to help congestion when I have a cold. I don't use it on my face--leave the peppermint out for that.
- Feel free to substitute salt for a very exfoliating scrub on the feet.
More peppermint DIYs from past posts:
PS: Congrats to my sis who's getting married today!