4.18.2012

Reader Request Week: Ask Elle


I love answering your questions and giving advice! Please let me know if I missed your question.
Here's the latest beauty roundup:



I have a question about lip stains. Every time I use them all the color just migrates to the edge of my lips so it just looks like I'm wearing heavy lip liner!-- Laura 

  • First, what brand of lip stain are you using? I tried the Revlon version and had an awful allergic reaction. Maybe change the brand? I recently used the cheaper NYC version in a tutorial here and I love it!
  • I created my own "just bitten" lips in this tutorial. Try it out!
  • I would also suggest outlining lips in a nude lip liner before applying the lip stain to stop the migrating color.



My over-processed hair dried out, broke off, and fell out in all the wrong places. My now extra frizzy hair is in a pretty fragile state so I'm trying to do as little with it as possible. Any treatment tips or easy hair-dos for the warm weather?--Tina Lane 
and
Makes me wish I didn't cut off like 3-4 inches of my hair, lol, but I had to since it was so dry and breakage-prone due to overusing protein treatments. Could you do a post on what hair products you would recommend for super dry hair? I! I'd also love it if you did a "no heat hair styles" series – I'm trying to cut back on heat styling to prevent further damage.-- Ida 


How about eyeliner...help me out with a subtle method of application--le_third

  • Try using an eyeliner brush ($5) dipped in brown eye shadow and line your upper lid. You can wet the brush as well for a thicker application. Brown is usually the most natural-looking, and the powder (Bare Minerals makes great loose eyeliner powder, if you'd like that route) makes application easier.
  • I would also suggest a Kohl-liner (Urban Decay is my fave, but NYX makes a great one) in black or brown and lining your tightline. This is the area under your lashes. It does feel weird applying in this way, but it makes lashes look instantly thicker/bigger. Just hold up your lashes and apply. I have sensitive eyes and it doesn't irritate mine, but use with caution if you have sensitive eyes. I'll do a tutorial if you'd like!


How about products in your home that can be used on your skin or hair? as in, scrubs, soaps, serums, etc that you can make at home??--Rach


Do you know how to do a really good ponytail, one that's not severe, but has that nice bit of volume at the front? Oh and a good 5 minute face. --Jenny @ Spry On The Wall

  • For volume in the crown, use a teasing brush/comb or volumizing powder (used here). Spray the teased roots with hairspray if desiredUse bobby pins if desired to hold that poofed section. Pull hair into ponytail with one hand, and instead of putting the elastic right in the middle of the back of your head, move it up higher. Secure with elastic. Optional: after securing in elastic, split ponytail into 2 sections, and pull the sections down to create more volume. Want a tutorial? Let me know!
  • Concealer, BB Cream or tinted moisturizer, curled eyelashes, mascara if time, and lip gloss make up my 5-minute face.
  • This Spring Bloom Tutorial takes about 5 minutes.
  • For a night out, try this Quick Party Makeup.

Have beauty questions you'd like answered? Ask away!




On Friday, I'll be answering personal questions--ooh, ahhh. Leave yours below!

24 comments:

  1. k, you seriously know everything and I feel like Megan in the first comment, haha.

    and yes, do a tutorial about the split ponytail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh thanks for answering my question! The brands I've used are Josie Maran and...Covergirl? I'll definitely try your suggestions! Thanks again <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fantastic way to help out your readers! i love this blog series :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips on the hair masque! I have been looking for a new one. Pantene Pro V had a version that I loved, but then when they changed the packaging, they also changed the formula :) Looking forward to trying out one of your suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're such a wealth of knowledge! Thanks for all of your tips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hair mask is on my wish list and I'm going to check out those no heat hairstyles. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS I hope you are enjoying my novel, Enchanted by Starlight. Can't wait to hear your reaction. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No heat hair styles sound great!! My hair is a dried out frizz bomb with applying some sort of heat to it. Great tips girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love my Sephora brand lipstain. Looks perfect everytime and doesn't "run" or migrate like the others.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great answers and advice! I love Q&As! Did I already ask a personal question for Friday? I can't remember, but if not, what's the one thing you would most like to accomplish in your life?

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is SO helpful!! I just adore your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tips! I have never tried olive oil to take off my make-up!

    Amy

    fashionandbeautyfinds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tips! I need to be better about not using heat on my hair. Can't wait to see some future tutorials.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so glad that these questions were posed to you. I think most of these are beauty issues we all go though. Some great advice hun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hair breakage is an issue for me, and I so appreciate your tips! xo style, she wrote

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for answering my requests! I swear you are the best! Totally want a ponytail tutorial and the eyeliner tutorial. I'm so demanding ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow, this is amazing!!! i'm so glad i read all of these, especially the one about lip stains -- i want to buy the covergirl outlast lip stain. :)

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/
    Poshlocket Giveaway: Win a Shelly Fabric Choker

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness, all of these are sooo useful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your tips on lip stains! They've always intrigued me.
    xo Josie
    www.winksmilestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never tried lip stains but now I want to!


    Wida
    Missing Amsie Blog

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this. Need to write all of it down and tape it to my bathroom mirror!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is my 5-minute face too! For busy mornings when I am running late or plan on coming right back home after I drop off the girls at school ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I respond to comments via email, so make sure I can respond!
For a faster response, please use Twitter or email: elleseesyou@gmail.com

More ways to keep up with me: Bloglovin, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram , Youtube or email: elleseesyou@gmail.com

You made my day by visiting! See ya tomorrow :)

Disclaimer:

All products mentioned are purchased by me unless stated.
All pics, thoughts, etc, are mine unless otherwise noted. Publishing or redistributing any content from this blog is strictly prohibited. Please seek permission first. Thank you.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...